Micra 2015 brake problem?

Guest cayleygraph@gmail.com

Guest cayleygraph@gmail.com

We had a harrowing experience in our 2-month old NIssan Micra. The brakes stopped working on dry pavement daytime in 2nd gear slowing for the stop sign. There was a grinding sound that may have indicated the ABS system activating. Brake pedal went to the floor. We needed to use the handbrake to stop. We switched drivers after my partner was too terrified to stay in the car. Same thing happened to me at the next stop sign. Had it towed to the Nissan dealer who inspected all the brake cylinders and found no problem, no loss of fluid, and told us to monitor it. That wasn't our ideal outcome, since the monitoring may entail a serious accident. We'd like to know what went wrong. Could it be an electronic fault in the ABS? Something else?

• 1 month later...

Let me know if you resolve the situation..... I took my brand new Nissan Micra back to the dealer because of a problem which sounds the same - funny crunching sensation and no braking..... and they told me that there was nothing wrong with it and made me feel like a fool. I had a few hairy issues and sold her last year. I got another Nissan Micra (I can park them - this means I like them) - and unfortunately I have the same blooming problem - and no one can tell me what it is or do anything about it.....

• 2 months later...

Bump and oldish post, but useful for others perhaps?

The grinding (or for some cars, a spring-like sound) is activation of the ABS.

The 'usual' cause for the ABS to activate whilst no wheels are locked is a faulty sensor.

In my experience, for this to happen (Note: NOT necessarily YOUR issue):

Notes from experience:

- The sensor is 'electrically' fine - i.e, the ABS ECU can detect it and it's within tolerance.

- The sensor 'may' return a valid signal whilst the wheel is turning (likely weak, but enough to trigger valid in usual diagnostic).

- Diagnostics happen when things are cool or cannot get hot unless driving.

Other causes, likely or unlikely:

- Water inside ABS sensor connector.

- Metal filings on ABS sensor (They are magnetic).

- Sensor ring loose.

- ABS sensor ill-fitted.

- ABS sensor fails (completely or intermittently) when the hub becomes warm/hot.

Personally I have:

- Caught the ABS sensor lead, causing intermittent connection - failing on heavy braking.

- Bent the ABS sensor.

- Coated the sensor in metal filings when repairing or cleaning areas around the hubs.

I have also similar experience with the same type of sensor (flywheel position sensor) with the above issues (heat causes failure, water in connector) and metal filings.

How repeatable is the issue? Hot day, wet day, both? X hours driving?

The very least, is the dealer should lend a replacement set of sensors - maybe in pairs to track the axel at fault.

I'm unsure if the ABS ECU can be interrogated for last wheel that has loss of traction?

Hope you get it sorted, but also post back your current situation.