Gearbox swap options for K12 1.2

The Original Dave

Hi all,

I know everyone and their dog seems to be after close-ratio gearboxes for their Micras but am I the only one who finds the 1.2 a bit under-geared? 5th gear seems to give about 20mph/1000rpm (indicated speed, so true figure would be lower).

I'd kind of like 5th to be a cruising gear, say more like 25mph/1000rpm. Happy enough to change down to 4th for the odd incline if this is what it takes. I certainly don't think that pushing 4000rpm at motorway speeds can be good for fuel economy.

I'm not about to fix what isn't strictly broken but, come the time when the clutch needs changing, are there ant compatible gearboxes with slightly higher 5th gear and/or final drive ratios? Ideally a combination of both so that I can significantly raise 5th gear without rendering the lower gears unusable...

Ideas gratefully received,

Thanks,

__

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hiya, new member here and this is my first post. I've often thought the same about my dci micra. My potential options (or how it seemed to me) would include theb6 speed box from a quashqai as the same engine is fitted there. But I don't know the ratios or if it would be a drop in option. 

I wonder if there is a 6 speed box from the k14 that would fit, for you 1.2?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi .... welcome to the Forum

Not sure whether the box would actually have the ratios that you would be after as the Quashqai is more of a multi-occupant cruiser in comparison to the Micra which is strictly speaking only designed as a town car.

Playing with wheel and tyre sizes can have a marginal effect on economy and performance as another option.

Cheers,  Trevor