Micra 1.4 se oil leak RH side of engine

den9112

Hi , new member here ,i am looking for some advice on my daughters Micra that as developed a fluid leak ,it apears to be coming from the bell housing /gearbox side ,i have checked the brake fluid ,thats full,its not engine oil as its to clean ,if that makes sense ,i would say its gearbox oil but woukldnt swear on it,at first i thought it was the AC but not convinced its that,i have tried to smell the oil and usualy gearbox oil is quite stong but i cant smell anything....could any one help as to possible problem...Thanks in advance

• 6 months later...

All I can advise is that my Micra was originally my Grandfathers. He had an oil leak from the gear box. He took it to the garage. They did the usual, tightened up all the bolts, cleaned things out, etc. All of this did no good. He paid for the gearbox to be removed, striped, cleaned, re-greased, reassemble and put back in place.

Problem fixed, but was costly.

• 4 weeks later...

If the oil leak is from the gearbox end of the engine a very likely source is the crankshaft oil seal behind the flywheel.

I had signs of a similar leak on my K12 and when I removed the gearbox, to change the clutch, the flywheel was removed and sure enough the crankshaft seal was leaking.

A new seal was fitted and the clutch and gearbox was replaced.

As the leak wasn't very large I wouldn't have bothered to change the seal unless I was changing the clutch as it's quite a big job to drop the gearbox out......