New Pulsar

DanInStockport

Hello All,

New to the Nissan community (apart from my late father having a 1979 and 1984 Sunny, back in the day)

My mother has just put the wheels in motion to purchase a new Pulsar, n-Connekta, 1.2 Xtronic, (part exchanging a 2010 Renault Grand Modus) the dealership is in the process of locating a car in the colour and spec she wants.

I've read several reports on the Pulsar and most say that it's a bit dull to drive, very roomy (which, me being just short of 6'5", I can confirm, it is big!!), but it's the 'dull to drive' comments that I wanted to ask the forum about.

I'm sure that there will be other Pulsar owners out there, so my question is:-

'How is the Pulsar to drive in everyday life?'

Many thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan...welcome to the Forum

I cannot personally comment on how the Pulsar drives and will leave that to others who know, but like anything really, it is what it is!  I suppose for what is essentially a family car, it's not really going to set the world on fire. Here's a quote I found for it in a review:

The Pulsar places an emphasis on comfort over driving thrills, so the suspension is soft enough to soak up bumps without a problem. Travel faster, however, and that same soft suspension can’t quite keep pace, causing the body to lurch uncomfortably.

Suits me...I must admit that I go more for comfort now than speed 

Cheers  Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Many thanks for your response. Once my Mum has actually collected the car and I've driven it a couple of times, I'll post again to let you know how we're getting on with it. She's still not heard back from the dealership as they're trying to source the car, hopefully won't be too much longer.

Thanks,

Dan.

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

Well, here we are a few months down the line from the posts above. My Mum got the car, and I have to admit, it's not a bad car at all. It was only a couple of weeks old when we gave it its' first decent run, down to Silverstone (round trip of around 300 miles). It had a full load, 5 adults plus luggage, still loads of room in the boot!! and it was still very comfortable. It handles well at motorway speeds, is very quiet and very smooth. It has the CVT automatic gearbox, which is very good, so smooth, you only realise it's changing gear when you look at the rev counter.

I did notice that on the Silverstone run, once we got home we'd used almost a tank of fuel, 300 miles on a tank, does that seem right, or will the mpg increase with a few more miles on it?

Now for the niggly bits, Mum asked for a couple of extras, one of which being a spare wheel kit (spare wheel, jack wheel brace etc), not the puncture repair kit, as I said earlier, we're a few months down the line and are still waiting for the kit to arrive at the dealership. Apparently Nissan were doing a 'promotion' which meant that the kits went out of stock very quickly, hopefully we'll have this soon. Also when we opened the tailgate the boot was very dark, no light coming on, so we thought that may be the bulb had blown, but after pulling the unit down, the reason for non-illumination became clear....no bulb!! Surely something like this should have been picked up during the PDI inspection?? As I say, 'niggly' bits, but when you buy new you expect things to be absolutely spot on.

All in all I'm impressed with the car, as is Mum (as it's her baby). She's not done may miles in it yet, it's only just ticked over 1,000, but I'm going to give it a couple of runs to my office (40 ish miles round trip), which should help loosen the engine up.

I'll post in another few months to update how things are.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not a massive car, around the same size as a Ford Focus/Vauxhall Astra, but it has the best legroom for a car of its size. I'm 6ft 5in tall, I can sit comfortably in the front (nice driving position), I can then jump in the back (with the front seat all the way back) and sit quite comfortably with a little room to spare.

I'd say that it's more than a good choice for a family of four, lots and lots of room.