Nissan Pathfinder YD25 start up rattle

Hi Guys,

Im new to this forum and hope someone can give me advice. I have a R51 Pathfinder year 2012 and it I can hear some sort of rattling noise on startup. 
I owe this Nissan for couple of years but there is no service history and anything that would indicate that the timing chain has ever been changed.
I thought I ask at what mileage I have to change the timing chain, tensioners and other bits? Is it could be a worn chain guide only or chain too? What parts should be changed?
This engine noise makes me extremely worried.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I would be very tempted to have all internal parts replaced with upgraded quality parts to ensure it doesn't go bang...smaller investment than an engine in my mind.

You mentioned "upgraded" and first I didn't know what you mean. Did you mean this duplex chain upgrade?
I've heard that all these R51 Pathfinders and Navara D40 models have a weak lower timing chain? How this could happen? Both Pathfinder and Navara have the same 2.5 Dci YD25 engine?

In the past two days I was trying to find more info on it and many owners complain online that their D40 Nissan engine blew up around 69-80.000km. It is pretty disappointing that these YD25 engine failures in a Nissan can happen. It feels like an engineering issue.

So as I don't know when my timing chain and guides have been changed Im sourcing a suitable timing chain kit.
Yesterday my mechanic told me that my Pathfinder also has this "simplex chain" which is the weak point. I told him that you mentioned an "upgraded" version of it and he knew straight that you were talking about this duplex chain conversion.  Im a little confused because there is so much information (that I hadn't known about it) of these duplex modifications and each offers different kit.
Trevor... Is it true that after 2010 the Euro 5 engines need different timing chain kits? My Pathfinder is 2012 but I don't really want to order wrong kit.

I found this site and they offer various options but in the options I can only see D40 and not R51:

https://shop.zedperformance.co.uk/nissan-navara-2.5-yd25ddti-timing-chain-kit

The link you attached is exactly the sort of kit I was referring to with all components to replace the standard OE (and of poor quality) parts.

I would contact them and ask for compatibility of your engine, but it is most definitely worth getting it all done for peace of mind....regardless of whether it has been done before when poor quality parts may have been fitted for an economical repair.