Jim Hall

Jim Hall

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie so not familiar with anyone yet. However, maybe someone out there can give me some advice / feedback about the Nissan Xtrail.  I have never been a great fan of Japanese vehicles but my wife wants an Xtrail so yesterday we went to look at one and after a test drive, decided to go for it.  The vehicle is a 05 - reg. SVE 2.2 dCi  in excellent condition and with only 96k on the clock.   I must admit to being very impressed but what concerns me is the number of horror-stories relating to timing-chain problems. I believe that the turbos can give trouble too but the chain is what worries me. I have also heard that the problems were addressed in 2004 ;  can anyone give me the actual facts about this situation. Many thanks in anticipation, Jim H.

Hi Jim...welcome to the Forum

I would not take the chance of running the engine on a worn timing chain, guides or tensioner. With the mileage that it has covered and with the cost of the kit being quite cheap, it is just a case of finding a good mechanic to replace all of the components and then it is peace of mind.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-X-TRAIL-T30-2-2-TD-Di-DCi-DIESEL-YD22DDTi-YD22ETi-NEW-TIMING-CHAIN-KIT-/271507249270?fits=Car+Make%3ANissan|Model%3AX-Trail|Cars+Year%3A2005|Plat_Gen%3AT30|Cars+Type%3A2.2+dCi&hash=item3f3717d876:g:Ae4AAOxyDo1TjwNu

There are a host of other issues with the X-Trail that may, or may not materialise so maybe best deal with them if they arise.

Cheers,   Trevor

Many thanks Trevor. At the moment the engine seems quite but I still have a niggling doubt.  I am, or rather was, a mechanic but my large workshop is full of woodworking equipment so if the engine has problems I would have to take the car to a garage as I believe that to replace the chains requires the engine to be removed. I look forwards to getting the car tomorrow and feel that it will be a great vehicle so am prepared to cross any bridges when I come to them.....................hopefully a long time down the road !  Thanks also for the link to timing-chain kits, most helpful,  Cheers !

Glad I could cast some light (or doom) on the situation, hopefully it won't present a problem but I believe in pre-empting issues before they become a problem.

You should be able to access the side of the engine in situ quite easily....a good mobile mechanic may be the answer