Jim Hall

Another question for you X-trail experts. I have a 2005 model, 2.2 CVE which has an annoying knock from the front ( I think ) o/s suspension.  The anti-roll bar bushes appear slightly worn and to eliminate this possibility I removed both links so the roll-bar in effect no longer exists. The knocking is still there, as loud as ever but there doesn't seem to any obvious wear or play in any of the suspension parts. Can anyone suggest a possible reason ?    ( tomorrow I intend to check the rear brakes and will examine the rear suspension while I am there but I remain convinced that the cause is at the front ).  Any suggestions are welcome !     Thank you in advance.

Hi Jim

If it is from the front then I would obviously check all joints and also see if there is any play in the front driveshaft joints (inner and outer) as this could be the cause.

If not then it is more than likely from the rear and transmitting the sound through the vehicle.

Let us know what you find

Cheers,  Trevor

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The problem is that I don't have a ramp or a pit and obviously when I jacked the vehicle up to work on the brakes the suspension dropped which would have the effect of tightening any slack joints. I work part - time at a place where there is a pit and will ask the resident mechanic if he can find anything, At my time of life I'm too old to put the car on stands and grovel on my back underneath, wielding a pry-bar so someone else can have the pleasure !    I'll keep you informed.  Incidentally, how do I gain access to the brake cable adjusting-nut ?   I assume that it's under the centre console but there is a shroud around the lever which is too rigid to move to one side. I'm sorry to appear dumb : I was a full-time mechanic years ago but long before the advent of the X-trail............I'm fully cured now, by the way.  Many thanks, will be in touch,  Jim Hall.