Murano 2009 Hydraulic Lifters

Rod1950

Hi all just joined the owners club. Purchased a 2009 Murano recently, it had problems which I was informed of at the time of purchase, front wheel bearing bad. Replaced that no problem but the ABS speed sensor needed replacing (These always get corroded in and are destroyed when you try to remove.), was quoted 400 pounds by the dealer for a new one.  When I was told the price which I was expecting to be about 40 pounds I told them it must be a typo. They insisted not and so I bought one from China for 21 pounds including shipping and another from Germany for 36 pounds. Has anyone else experienced this unbeliveable scam by the dealers? There is nothing in these things to warrant that sort of price. Some one not knowing anything about cars may pay the price, criminal. However, this vehicle has done 174k miles and so has been well used and I now have a very bad clatter from what I think is a failed hydraulic lifter. Has anyone changed these themselves and how involved is it? Alternatively has anyone used additive Moly Lub tappet Lubricant to clean the lifter ports and seals and was effective? Thanks for any feed back.

Rod1950

Hi Rod....welcome to the Forum

I know what you mean about dealer prices and never buy any parts from them over all the years, especially as you can get parts of equal quality for a fraction of the price. 

Are you sure it is a hydraulic tappet and not timing chain/belt tensioner or associated components.

I would usually just run a flush through the engine to clean out any oilways that may be sludged up and then put a quality oil back in...usually does the job.

Let us know what you find

Cheers,  Trevor

Trevor,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have attached a sound recording of the engine which is not that great to be honest. It's initially of it cold then when warmed up. There is a distinct single knocking and not quite sure what the timing chain tensioner system would sound like. Have to agree at 174k miles that might need replacing. However, will flush the system with the Moly Lub tomorrow when it arrives and let you know but even if it quietens down it will be only a matter of time before re-ocurrence I think. So as much as I would like not to have to pull the motor apart it may be just the thing to do. One question is it easier to pull the motor to work on it for this or can this be done in situ? I'm a pretty competent DIY mechanic with many years of experience.

By the way the sound file (amr) is off my phone and can be played on the prog VLC or QuickTime and Media player with an addon.
Cheers, Rod.

recording20170816142732[1].amr

Hi Rod

Does sound like a deep rattle...see how the flush works and let us know the result.

As for replacement, should be able to do it in situ but may be a bit tight.

Again, let us know how it all goes but if it isn't tappet rattle then I wouldn't delay doing the camchain as this is a common failure on some Nissans