After 2 weeks I need a bonnet!

nickrose137

Hi all, last month my daughter bought a 2001 Micra K11 1.0 to learn on.  Excellent condition, low mileage, service history.  But I've dented it, just by moving it on our driveway :blush: !  Oh my goodness, was I in trouble.  The only bit of good news is that the bonnet seems to have taken the impact, leaving everything else untouched, apart from pushing back the panel where the radiator is mounted.  So... how easy is it to swap a bonnet on a K11?  Do any of you have one for sale, preferably red (colour code to be confirmed) and in Sussex?  Sorry, that's a lot of questions for a newbie, but I need to get myself out of trouble!  Many thanks, Nick

Hi Nick....welcome to the Forum

How unfortunate, I would have denied it and blamed it on the wife, lol

Bonnet is easy enough to unbolt and bolt back on but ensure there are two of you to hold it otherwise it may fall back onto the windscreen and damage that as well.

Finding one in the right colour does ensure that you don't need to involve paintwork as this costs big money.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with it

Cheers,   Trevor

• 1 month later...

Hi Trevor, thank you for your quick reply.

OK, by brute force and ignorance I've pushed the slam plate and the bonnet almost back into shape, apart from one particularly stubborn dent and a slight ripple in the bonnet - so still on the lookout for a replacement (colour code Z10 K).  The headlights were also pushed back by the impact, but I *think* I've now got them pointing straight ahead enough to pass the MoT.  My daughter hasn't taken her test yet, so I've been borrowing the Micra to drive to work (about 18 miles each way).  I thought I didn't like small cars, but it's been fun so far.

I suppose it's not too bad of an outcome as I'm sure it will probably acquire a few more battle wounds along the way and as given its age then it may be the best solution to leave it like it is and just replace the bonnet to make it look better.