Micra alarm faulty

Robson

Hi

The alarm on my 53 Micra Ancaster goes off at random times.

Where should i start looking for common issues? Can it be easily disconnected if a fix proves costly?

The aerial mast is also broken but it's not the screw in type. Can't seem to find a replacement on the usual sites. Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

Rob

Hi Rob....welcome to the Forum

I would start at the battery and look at the condition and level of charge....if this drops, it can set off the alarm. Check also the connecting leads, terminals, etc.

Otherwise, check door switches work by opening each door independently and seeing if the interior light comes on...this way you know the door sensor work.

Hi Trevor

Each door brings on the interior light independently so hopefully sensors are ok.

I've cleaned battery terminals and connectors. There was no corrosion but I did feel the connectors were a bit loose when removing so nipped up them up when refitting.

Can I test the battery in any way? Take it to Halfords and ask them to test it?

A new battery in the key fob has greatly improved the range and consistency of the remote locking but I guess that won't be linked to the intermittent alarm issue? 

I do now need a code for the stereo which we don't have! Is there a default code? Tried 0000 and 1234 and now got WAIT 1HR message.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Rob 

The best bet would be to get the battery tested if there is any doubt of it's strength and ability to hold charge...especially with the winter coming up.

Halfords are as good as anywhere else to carry out a discharge and condition test.

Radio code should be in the owner's handbook or on a separate card. If not, then contact the dealer for a replacement code.

Let us know how you get on with the battery test

The battery is only 3 years old - just found receipt. Still worth getting checked?

Tried locking it to see if alarm behaved but a passing bus set it off. I'd recently locked car and gave it a good rocking to try and Trigger alarm but it didn't go off. 

Is it the noise or the vibration from the bus causing the problem? Are there two microphones near the rear view mirror?

Any way of testing them?

Found radio code and all sorted. Replaced broken aerial with metal coat hanger which works nicely!

Any interior sensors would not set off the alarm if a bus goes by (even though they have a hell of a lot of vibration come from them) as it only controls the interior (volumetric sensing) but if you had an air freshener hanging off the mirror then it would.

I would still get the battery checked to be on the safe side though

My partner is convinced it's passing buses which trigger the alarm. She's positive that on several occasions the alarm has gone off as a bus has gone past the car, which is parked on the road.

Is this possible and if so, what's at fault?

I will test the battery. Just googled voltages and test procedure, all fairly straightforward.

Thanks again for assisting with this. I'll post battery test results tomorrow.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

There wouldn't be any way to physically remove the alarm system (unless it is an after market system) but you could see if there is a fuse for the alarm (which I doubt there is) otherwise, you could physically remove the alarm siren to at least keep it quiet but the indicators would still flash and therefore flatten the battery.

Have you tried just locking it on the door lock rather than using the remote handset?