Newbie with a starting problem

Chris B

Hi there,

I have a X-trail 2.2 diesel on a 54 plate, which has been a really good car so far...with 125K on the clock. A couple of days ago I clipped a kerb parking and stalled the car. When I tried to restart it it wouldn't start, it just clicked. It was at night so I thought the battery may be dead so I charged it up over night. Next morning I put the battery on and it started after a period of clicking and I thought it was sorted. Came back to it later and found the same problem. I replaced the battery thinking it may be that... same problem. I went to take the starter off to test it and found the main terminal loose and came off when I loosened the nut, I replaced the starter motor.... same problem. I charged the new battery same problem... I have checked for any error codes and found none, I have checked all the fuses which are all ok and turned the engine over by hand to check if it was seized. I am now at a loss... Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance

Chris B

Hi Chris....welcome to the Forum

I would definitely check the earth leads that run from the battery negative terminal to the chassis (below the battery on the inner wing area) as these tend to break off.

Only cost me around £10 for three new earth leads from Halfords and replaced the lot...everything then worked fine on my X-Trail.

Let us know what you find

Cheers,   Trevor