Key Fob

Steve P

2005 Nissan Micra, about 57k on the clock.

I have two key fobs. I repaired one about , maybe five years ago. It would not unlock the doors. I managed to superglue the micro switch back onto the pcb and solder the connectors on. The micro switch has fallen off again and the repair job is now beyond me ---------- getting old and past it.

All I THINK I need is the pcb? Or, does this have to be tuned in with the car or something?  I really don't want to get stitched by the main dealer for over 100 quid. I can't find a pcb on the net.

Key fob: SIEMENS VDO

5WK4 876/818

433 MHz  CE

Thanks for any ideas.

I have rebuilt a few of these fobs before with a kit from eBay but as you quite rightly state....as you get older it gets more difficult to solder miniature components with an iron due to poor eyesight and shaky hands.

I'm sure you might find an electronics repair shop to rebuilt the fobs for you as very little cost.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-ALMERA-PRIMERA-MICRA-X-TRIAL-NATS-2-button-Remote-key-Fob-Case-REPAIR-KIT/302184778048?epid=814607479&hash=item465b9dc940:g:0HQAAOSwB09YFOI1

Trevor, thanks for the reply and the idea.

I have a mate who is well into electronics. I've emailed him and asked if he will take a look.

Can't find a repair shop - yet.

There are some keys on ebay, but I have doubts about them. It can't be this easy.

Still, I have one working key and that car has done less than 500 miles in 6 months. If that key packs up I will just leave the car unlocked when I go shopping. Don't think anybody is going to nick a 13 year old car with a Westie in the back yapping it's empty head off.

My mate was a bit reluctant but has agreed to take a look. I've no idea where the tiny switch should go. Even if I did, my hands are too shaky and eyes too weak to give it a crack.

My soldering iron must be 30 years old and is like a poker, even though I have filed the tip down.

This is the only car I've ever had with a "smart key". In over 40 years of driving I never had problems with keys.

• 2 weeks later...

Yip, I was quite impressed.

Asian guy and I think he works from home. It was not quite clear how to pay on his website so I rang him. He answered the phone!!!!!!!

Cheque, postal order or cash. I have not had a cheque book for many years and you can't pay over the phone with the card. Ever get that sinking feeling?

Seems that you pay upfront on his website and then send the key. I suppose that he would have to wait 3 days for a cheque to clear.

The key came with two pages of "ID Code Entry Procedure". I thought Please No!

But, it worked straight out of the bag.