Expansion tank level?

Steve P

2005 Micra has a very slight coolant leak from the thermostat housing. Garage are talking £96 to fix, it a dealer only part and the car these days does less than 10 miles per week, so it's a no no.

I'll just top up the tank with ready mixed anti freeze. I've just warmed the car up, tank is looking like 3/4 full, but I can't see any level markings on the tank. Do I top up when the engine is cold or hot and to what level? I have only once topped up with water in the past few months, but would prefer to use anti freeze. Google has not been my friend.

Thanks for any help.

I would try something like RadWeld in the radiator which may slow down the leak.

There is one they do at Halfords that covers the whole cooling system and not just the radiator....less than £10

Then top the radiator to full and the coolant reservoir to half full with antifreeze/water mix.

Site seems to having problems?

Yours is a good idea. Thing is I would have to drain a bit out of the radiator which is full, and I don't want to do that - even if i knew how to do it.

Just checked on a cold engine. The reservoir looks about just over half full, it gets to 3/4 full when the engine is hot. No drips! Maybe my garage tightened something up.

Cheers for all of your help. You seem to be the only poster here. Or am I posting to the wrong forum subject?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The expansion tank looked a bit low, so I topped it up with anti-freeze. Can't see any leaks. The car has not moved for weeks. I may have put a bit too much in the tank. Will I cause any damage when driving, or will any excess just get blown out?

Thanks.

It would definitely be a good idea to remove some of the coolant (maybe see if there is a release tap at the bottom of the radiator to let some out).

If too much coolant is present then the pressure would increase and blow the expansion bottle pressure cap...tends to leave a mess everywhere....best to drain to the specified level.

• 1 month later...