Qashqai tips for future owner please?

fladavid

Hi. 

I'm just about to purchase my first Nissan in 40 years of driving and I'd love to know what to look out for when going to buy the car. 

I intend to buy an early petrol Qashqai as a second car for daily commuting and the odd trip out. I can't spend too much so up until about 11 plate would be the limit for me. Could anybody help with the following questions for me please?

1. Considering I'm only using it for commuting would the 1.6 engine be OK rather than the extra insurance, fuel and road tax required by the 2.0?

2. Although rare to find are the automatics any good? My wife prefers an auto whereas I don't mind either. 

3. Are there any inherent problems with these cars and anything in particular I should look out for when going to buy one?

4. I do like a car with lots of toys in so the ntec or the Tekna seem to be the cars that are top of the range, is that correct as the trim levels seem rather confusing?

Hope you can all help. 

Thanks. 

Dave. 

Hi Dave.....welcome to the Forum

The early Qashqai had a few issues, such as wiper arm linkage falling off but was generally not a bad car if maintained properly.
The later models have more serious issues with engine failure, etc.
Probably wouldn't go beyond 2011 and the 1.6 is quite a good engine overall.
May stick to manual transmission if it were me, but not saying the autobox isn't any good but more expensive to replace than a manual.

I think you would be advised to trawl this forum and also Google to see what else crops up and also which models are out there with the extras that you want.

Let us know how you get on with finding the 'right one'

Hi Trevor, 

Thanks for the info.

Wiper linkages falling off? Can you detect a problem like that is about to happen when viewing a car?

Engines failure too, which cars were affected and what years of manufacture? What was the problem?

Yes usually the linkage will have excess play in it if you move the wiper arm sideways but generally they just fall off and you can get a repair kit for it that works well (around £20)

Timing chain issues with some engines, not entirely sure which range though.

Timing chains usually give a warning through rattling which then is quite instant to failure.

If in doubt, change the chain and tensioners.
I'm programming my 2.2 DCi X-Trail engine in the near future as I know it may fail in the future and I would rather sort it before it does go.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to look at my first one yesterday and took it for a drive, it didn't last more than two minutes!.

The clutch was biting way up at the top of the pedal and first gear could be located easy enough but just trying to get into to second felt like a spoon in a bowl of porridge, there was no straight line from first down directly into second and you couldn't tell if you were in gear to let to the clutch up. Also there was no power, but I'm used to a 2.0 litre car as opposed to a 1.6. 

This is the first Qashqai I've ever sat in let alone driven but I assume they don't all drive like this and the car had a clutch/ gearbox issue?

Thanks for updating us on your search and sounds like you didn't have a good first experience with a Qashqai with this particular one.
Certainly worth trying another one, maybe the 2.0 litre next time?

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is down to maintenance and if the oil has been changed regularly then it stands more of a chance of lasting longer.
I have heard of owners who have challenged the manufacturers and got it done under warranty.

• 2 months later...

Hiya, i am new to this so let me introduce mu self a bit. 

My name is Dinu,

We have bought a Nissan Qashqai, 1.6 petrol Automatic , yer of first registration is 2008 it is a Left Hand Drive, car originally came from Switzerland the owner took all the documents back with him. In Switzerland its seems to use the same number plate for your next car , we bought it from a dealer importe/export. We want to register the car in UK, but we have only the invoice, and dvla is asking for few docs . Is anyone here who can help as to register the car here in UK. The DVLA told as we will need a dating evidence of the Car from a Reliable source, such as a Vehicle Owners Club or Enthusiasts Club. We would be very grateful if anyone can help as with information, any help is welcome.  VIN NUMBER, OR CHASSIS NUMBER : SJNFBAJ10U1293731, Many thanks, Dinu 

• 1 year later...