2018 X Trail Intelligent Braking System (IEB)

Kram

I have recently purchased a manual 2018 Xtrail which is equipped with the IEB system which has been in the news a lot recently due to possible faults which have now been overcome with a software upgrade.

Anyway, I'm experiencing an issue which I am not sure is normal expected behaviour.

As I approach a car in front of me, on some occasions if I leave applying the brakes a little late, and the Intelligent brake system warns me that I am approaching a car with a visual warning and a sound notification.  As I start to apply the brakes, the intelligent system on some occasions then also applies more pressure on the brakes. At this point I hear a loud grinding noise as the car comes to a halt.

The local Nissan dealer has inspected and said the noise is coming from ABS unit and is normal behaviour, but I am not sure if I am just being fobbed off, has anyone else experienced the same thing? Has anyone relied on the Intelligent brakes bringing them to stand still and hearing any loud grinding noises?

• 2 months later...

I've had a Nissan since 2014 with intelligent brake system , I have had the warning tone a number of times but never has it applied the brakes for me . Perhaps I am too careful a driver as I do try not to break the 2 second rule.

I  would never have the bottle to not brake in the hope that it stops the car for me . I have often been curious and thought about whether I could make up a dummy target to aim for that would not cause any damage if I hit it .But alas I havefar more important things to worry about such as what price is the San Miguel in my local co op and is it cheaper to drive the 5 miles to aldi and back . It works out that the 10 mile round trip is far more cost effective.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, owner of a 17 plate X-Trail 1.6 diesel here.

We've had the car a couple of months but are having problems with the front radar.  The problem is that generally after having driven 10 miles or 20 minutes or so, the dashboard beeps and the Unavailable: front radar obstructed message pops up, along with the accompanying orange warning lights.  I've read the manual and it happens regardless of the weather conditions so we cant blame rain or snow etc.  The warning tends to clear itself after a few minutes. 

So far the dealer has been annoyingly clueless. Firstly they cleared the code then told us it was fixed. Of course it wasn't. Then after that they diagnosed an internal failure of the radar unit and replaced the radar sensor at great expense.  Neither of these actions have made the blindest bit of difference.  

I know there's plenty info out there about USA cars having this problem but I can find nothing for UK cars so any experience is welcome as this is spoiling what is otherwise a great car!

Hi ..... welcome to the Club

You could try one of the larger windscreen companies to recalibrate the ADAS which is on the front screen as sometimes they are out of sync