Overheating warning light

Sarahx88x

I'm completely at my wits end with my Nissan note and right now could happily leave it in the middle of a field with the keys inside (if i hadn't have already spent so much on repairs). 

My red overheating light came on (Feb time) took it to a garage, head gasket had gone (fixed in March) also had a new coolant reservoir fitted (garage snapped the old one) and I'm still struggling with my warning light when I pick up speed or drive for longer than 15/20 mins. Took it back to the garage and they said they couldn't see any problems.

I've only had my licence for 8 months and for 2 of those it's been practically sat in a garage 🙈 too scared to go out with my children in fear of braking down and being stranded with them. please help a stressed mumma out with some advice 🙈

Hi Sarah.....sorry for the delayed reply.

It could just be some air trapped in the cooling system which is an easy fix.
If you take it to a garage or a competent person that can diagnose it with an infra-red temperature gun (about £15 to buy) and see where the hot spots or blockages are.
A very easy and quick diagnosis to establish the cause of overheating

Let us know how you get on with it

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got off the phone to Nissan (Colebrook way, Andover) they've advised me to take it back to the garage that fit the head gasket and check that they've plugged the sensor in properly. I've basically got to start at the beginning and work out the problem. On a positive note the sensor light stayed off for the mot and passed today 🙌 booked in next Friday (once I'm out of isolation). Fingers crossed its something so simple 🤞 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have just herd back from the garage. The thermostats have not needed to be replaced. There's a sealent that another garage put on the gasket as a temporary fix that's got into the radiator that's stopped the flow of air into 1 of the pipes. The radiator is in Amsterdam and it's setting me back just under £500 for parts and labour. Just the total on repairs has set us back 3 grand in the last 6 months (first year on finance so had to pay it with no option) and now without a car for the next 7 to 10 days.😭 

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear that outcome.

The radiator may bring the temperature down but if the gasket has gone then it would definitely need to be replaced.
Maybe best to look around at other garages for the best price and also if there is any opportunity to find a radiator in stock.

• 5 weeks later...

The radiator was fitted last week and has not turnt off the overheating light. The garage then went to look at a tension belt that had a crack and has now snapped, the part is of course in Belgium and still no car a month later 🙈 the garage are unsure and its basically a process of elimination 🤷‍♀️ never owning a nissan again 🙈

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear! that seems to be a long time with all the issues you have experienced.
Hopefully they are closing in on the root cause now and it should be resolved when the parts finally arrive in the UK

• 2 weeks later...

Well we finally got the car back. The garage have given up with my car just about as much as we have. The overheating light hasn't come back on since we've had it but we now have no heating inside the car 🙈 I've looked on trusty old Google and see a mention of a blocked heater core (which would make sense because the garage said one side is hot, one side is cold). I literally can not throw anymore money into this so I wondered how easy it was to DIY 🤔 we've taken to YouTube to watch videos that make it look easy. 

Good result on the overheating light not coming on and the engine seems to have settled down in that respect.

The heater matrix will more than likely just be trapped air within the system and it may eventually work its way through with use (set to hot and leave it there).

Alternatively, you can bleed the air from the cooling system which will produce a more instant result.

If the coolant level drops over time then this is sometimes a good indicator that the air is shifting and then just needs topping up occassionally