K12 starting issue

Damian

Hi everyone, I'm new here and wanted to get some advice as have had great help from previous forums.

I'm sure its been asked before but I was unable to find much information here or anywhere and was hoping for some advice before I tried to sort the issues I'm having. 

I have a 2004 K12 Nissan Micra less than 80,000 miles, lovely little car if a little basic.

I've had a few issues, rear wipers and centre light not working, the wires were chewed up but I managed to solder and sleeve them. Window wiper linkage had become loose on the front so replaced with a new linkage. I also recently changed the battery as it sat for alot of the winter and would try to start without success. I know very little about cars but I like to give my own repairs a go.

My latest issue however is an issue starting the car. Most of the time you wouldn't know there is an issue at all.

Pop the key in, turn it 2 clicks and wait for the immobiliser light to go out and then turn the key to start.

I've been teaching my sister to drive however and on a few occasions, seems after its run a little while, the car won't start. This happened once at a junction, she stalled and the car wouldnt start, needless to say it was pretty dangerous. The second was in a car park. We had turned the car off and were talking through what we had done in the lession before driving her home. When we turned the key, nothing.

All the lights come on as normal as well as the fan and stereo, the immobiliser light goes out but when you turn the key there is nothing at all, no attempt to turn over or clicking so I'm pretty sure it's not battery or starter motor related.

Someone told me that it's normally one of 2 things, either the ignition and starter relays are failing or it could be the board that is housed in the main fuse box.

Is this the case? Is there anything I can do to test this?

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and get back to me. I'd like to get the issue sorted if I can.

Regards

Damian