Engine Oil for 2014 Note Petrol 1.2L

Claire K

I have looked on the Nissan website and the correct engine oil for my Nissan Note appears to be 5W30 A5/B5. However, I have checked several online sellers where you enter your reg. no. and they give you a selection of oils for your make and model. These show a variety of oils of different viscosity as well as the 5W30 - including 5W40 and 15W40. Can anyone explain if these oils really are ok for my engine. I have a couple of bottles of oil left over from previous vehicles I have owned and these are (you've guessed it) 5W40 and 15W40. Could either of these be used  to top up the oil between services if necessary or should oils never be mixed and would they be the wrong oils to use anyway?

It is more important to use the correct SAE specifications for the choice of oils to use....e.g, Nissan specification rather than the viscosity.
You can use the Castrol oil selector app which states the correct grade but you may need to dig deeper as to the best specification

https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/home/car-engine-oil-and-fluids/motor-oil-and-fluids-finder.html