Newbie with an 2002 X-Trail 2.2 TDi SE+

Hi Rick, welcome !   I'm a comparative newcomer myself, having bought an X-trail in late July. I was reluctant to buy Japanese, partly on principle and partly because despite what the press says Jap vehicles are not always as reliable as proclaimed. I have to admit though that I love mine and thoroughly enjoy driving it although in the short time since buying it I've replaced both front dampers and now it sounds as if the rears are on their way out too. Fortunately they are fairly inexpensive to buy online and not difficult to fit. Beware of problems with your timing-chain ; apparently models of your year are prone to serious wear and even failure and replacement is expensive , especially if you don't have the equipment and premises needed for removal of the engine. I would strongly advise regular oil and filter changes with good-quality oil. Prepare for some minor electrical niggles too but from what I can gather these are not usually serious or very costly.....................but obviously there are exceptions to every rule !   However, don't let my somewhat negative comments discourage you, you've got a vehicle that is nice to drive and one which does all that it says on the tin.   Good luck and have fun !     Cheers,  Jim Hall.

Hi Jim

Thanks for the info

First job , 2 front tyres ( done )

Second job . Healthy dose of Redex ( diesel! Done ) 

Third job . Previous owner siliconed the windscreen, badly !! So now finding a few quotes to cut out and re-seal !! 

Or is there a gasket type over seal that could just be stuck over?

Regards

Rick

I've never heard of any type of 'patch' that goes over a windscreen joint, almost all screens these days are bonded. You will need to contact such as Autoglass and see what they can do. Presumably your screen was silicone because of a leak in which case it would have to be removed and re-fitted anyway which of course would end the unsightly mess which you have now.  As for the Redex treatment, I have never tried this in a diesel.  Have you noticed an improvement ?   I'll catch up with you later as we are going to Cornwall tomorrow and will be offline. 'See you' on Friday evening, have fun !!