Overdrive, on or off for London? (traffic driving)

Hello Members

I've recently got a 2004 Nissan Almera 1.8 SVE automatic (116hp/85kw model).

I do have the Nissan owners manual, but when reading the section regarding using the overdrive button, I'm unsure whether it should be 'off'(button out), or 'on'(button in).

When driving in and around London (considering busy traffic), should the 'O/D OFF' orange light be showing in the dashboard, or not.

Or, when driving on a motorway, should the 'O/D OFF' light be showing in the dash under these circumstances.

I'm confused when to use O/D (in other words when it shows the dash light, and when it doesn't show).

Any members help would be great, thanks

regards

Thanks Trevor for the help.

I found out that when the orange 'O/D OFF' light is showing in the dash cluster, that this mode is only suitable for steep hill climes, or towing, carrying heavy loads or slowing when going down steep hills (using the gearbox lower gear as a form of braking)

The default setting is to leave the Overdrive on (ie the O/D OFF orange light is not showing in the instrument cluster), this means the car will change through the lower gears, and through to the highest gear when at around 45mph ( or higher), while driving in normal road conditions and gradients, and when the vehicle is not pulling any heavy loads.

regards