Nissan Serena cvt question

Hi everyone,  I used to be in the motor trade, but a escaped a few years back.

I have a question, that I'm hoping someone on here may have the answer to.

A neighbour of mine has offered me a car, it's a Japanese import Serena 2.0 with the cvt gearbox (around 2000). The car has stood for 2 years since it had an issue. The story is that he got his mechanic to mot it, fit a set of new tyres, then gave it a full service, including gearbox oil change. Apparently this mechanic drained the box and refilled it with normal atf oil. 

I know nothing about cvt boxes, apart from a little googling, and I was wondering if this car is scrap or not. After googling, it sounds to me like the issue would be around the belt. 

The story goes that the mechanic tried to fix it, as did the owner, by changing the oil etc.

Is it worth stripping the box and cleaning it properly,  then refilling it with cvt oil?  I'm pretty sure people will say it's a lost cause, but I'm hoping to learn what exactly the problem could be 

Thanks for reading 

I'm of the mind as you to change the fluid to the correct one and flush through as much as possible to see if that gets you anywhere.

If it was okay when it went into the garage and the only thing to affect it is the oil then this is where I would start. (happens sometimes on motorbike gearboxes where the incorrect oil goes in affects the clutch plates)

May cost you a bit in the correct fluid with flushing it through, etc but would be worth it if you get the car cheap enough